Trippe-Holly Grove Cemetery
The Trippe-Holly Grove Cemetery is all that remains of the historic community of Trippe Junction, once located about six miles west of Arkansas City on Crooked Bayou. William Fletcher Trippe donated 2.5 acres of land on either side of Crooked Bayou Road about 1859 for a Methodist Episcopal Church and cemetery, named Holly Grove for the holly trees that lined the road. Among the burials is Benjamin Scott McGehee, Trippe’s brother-in-law and father of Abner McGehee for whom the town of McGehee is named. The oldest gravestone in the cemetery is for the infant son of Benjamin and Sara Ann McGehee, Benjamin Scott McGehee (March 25, 1862-April 29, 1862). Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.