Sans Souci Landing
Sans Souci Landing is located along the banks of the Mississippi River. This scenic park is situated on the site of the former Sans Souci plantation and offers a great up close view of the river. The 1854 plantation served as a hospital during the Civil War when the Union fleet docked nearby. Sans Souci means "without care" or "no worries" in French. The park features historical markers including one dedicated to Mark Twain’s Plum Point Landing and Overlook (Plum Point was the name of Osceola until the name was changed in 1853), which was mentioned in Life on the Mississippi. The park also offers covered picnic pavilions as well as free ramp access to the Mississippi River. During harvest season, travelers may find themselves behind 18-wheelers hauling grain and cotton to the river.