Helena Opera House Marker
Helena's Grand Opera House was constructed in 1887 and served the community for 40 years until it burned in December 1926. People came to see live acts, theatrical productions, sporting events, political rallies and more. The "Live at the Opera House" commemorates the three-level structure, which seated about 1,000 people. There were five dressing rooms on each side of the stage and an orchestra pit in front. A balcony and a third tier (the buzzards' roost) provided excellent views for performances.