Garden Point Cemetery
Garden Point Cemetery was owned by the Chapman & Dewey Lumber Company, a logging and land company that established operations in the newly settled town of Etowah during the last decade of the 19th century. When the plentiful timber tracts in the area were exhausted, Chapman & Dewey ceased operations and deeded the cemetery to Etowah for use as a public cemetery in 1926. Because burials were free of charge, no records were kept in the early years. This was especially true during the 1917-1918 flu epidemics that swept through Etowah. Because of the great number of people who died, the newspapers ceased reporting the deaths, concerned that the population at large would become even more depressed by the increasing death toll. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.